Though the Corporation traces its origins to 1906 when a small thermal station was established in Livingstone to serve a small section of the town, ZESCO Limited was formed in 1970 after the Zambia Electricity Supply Act was passed in Parliament.
The Act brought together the electricity undertakings that were previously managed by the local authorities.
In 1994, the name of Zambia Electricity Supply Corporation Limited was changed to ZESCO Limited. This was to reflect the recommitment to providing a high quality of customer service.
ZESCO is committed to providing safe and reliable electricity to improve the quality of life for all.